Senior Financial Analyst, Reporting – Real Estate
The Senior Financial Analyst will report to the Manager of Finance, Real Estate. The individual will be supporting the accounting and reporting for Fengate’s income producing properties (IPP), predominantly on the multifamily portfolio and will also be assisting on other commercial IPP portfolios. The role will also support the returns calculation for the IPP portfolios. This role will have the opportunity to interact closely with the Finance, Property Management, Developments, Asset Management, Investments and 3rd Party consultant teams.
The successful individual should have real estate experience and be familiar with reporting of real estate assets. The successful candidate will be driven for growth and genuinely curious; that enjoys working in a fast-paced environment; can multi-task, efficiently prioritize and work under timelines and manage multiple stakeholders; is detail and process oriented with a high sense of ownership in their work; and has a strong foundation in accounting and reporting.
- Responsible for supporting the IPP and our internal and 3rd party full cycle day-to-day accounting which includes review of journal entries, accruals, reviewing accounts payable, oversight of bank reconciliations, HST reconciliations and balance sheet account reconciliations
- Preparation and review of monthly and quarterly financial statements for internal management and investors
- Assist with year-end audit processes through the preparation of audit working papers
- Maintain the day-to-day operations of fund investments through banking operation, cash distributions and intercompany transfers with a keen sense of detail and understanding of cashflow
- Collaborate with accounts payable closely to organize, code, and submit vendor invoices for payment in a timely manner
- Oversight of monthly cash flow projections and cash distributions to investors of the properties which are held in the IPP Funds with institutional investors
- Support the debt/capital monthly treasury function and other ad hoc reporting related duties
- Calculation of quarter and annual returns using IRR and weighted capital and model improvements
- Generate and review the monthly reporting dashboard for senior management review
- Document a process to ensure compliance across different funds based on partnership agreements
- Assist the reporting team in tracking, summarizing and analyzing year over year asset management fees including completeness of fees charged to investors as part of compliance work
- Develop good business rapport with the operations team, finance team and other stakeholders
- Identify and implement continuous process improvements across different areas of scope
- Undergraduate degree in accounting, finance, or other relevant technical discipline
- CPA designated, with 3+ years of relevant experience in the industry
- Experience with working in the real estate space, asset management experience is an asset
- Strong Excel modelling skills, ability to construct professional PowerPoint presentations
- Strong understanding of statement of earnings, balance sheet, cash flows, IRR, ROIC, etc.
- Keen sense of how financial statements and note disclosures need to be presented and reviewed
- Genuinely curious with a desire to understand key metrics and drivers
- High attention to detail, understanding of accounting principles, ASPE, GAAP, etc.
- Strong customer focus with excellent relationship building and a collaborative working style
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization
- Ability to handle competing deliverables, with accurate/timely delivery under tight timelines
- Experience with Yardi or other real estate centric ERP is an asset
Core Fengate Competencies:
- Business Focus and Strategic Thinking: You display an understanding of Fengate’s as well as the investment project’s business and strategy. You recognize and reinforce how Fengate differentiates itself in the marketplace.
- Teamwork and Collaboration: You are approachable and supportive of team members and go above and beyond normal duties to make the team and Fengate successful. You actively participate in team activities and projects.
- Driving for Results: You take initiative to manage your work and performance and do not require close supervision. You consistently produce high quality output.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making: You recognize challenges and opportunities and determine whether action is needed and prioritize situation in terms of impact.
- Communication: Clear, concise and directly communicate ideas, information and directions both verbally and in writing.
Location & Travel:
The position will be based out of the Oakville office with occasional travel to the Toronto office. Fengate offers a Work-Flex policy where employees are allowed to work remotely up to 3 days per week.
We are committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.