Do you want to be a part of a family and not just another employee? Are you looking for a work environment where diversity and inclusion thrive? Submit your application today and find out what it truly means to be a part of a team. HCA is dedicated to the growth and development of our colleagues. We will provide you the tools and resources you need to succeed in our organization. We are currently looking for an ambitious OR Assistant for our Operating Room to help us reach our goals. Unlock your potential here!
LewisGale Medical Center (LGMC) delivers quality care to our patients located in the beautiful mountainous region of Southwest Virginia. LGMC is a 521-bed acute care facility and is the largest hospital in the LewisGale Regional Health System (LGRHS). Through our extensive network stretching from the Alleghany Highlands and Rockbridge County to the Roanoke and New River Valleys, we have the privilege of serving more than 250,000 patients each year. LewisGale is also ranked among the top hospitals in Virginia and the nation for benchmarked quality cancer care, patient safety and satisfaction, and health outcomes. Lastly, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) have ranked us among the top hospitals nationwide on quality measures for our services and treatments to address heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, and surgical care.
We offer you an excellent total compensation package, including a competitive salary, an excellent benefits package, and growth opportunities. We believe in our team and your ability to do excellent work with us. Your benefits include 401k, PTO medical, dental, flex spending, life, disability, tuition reimbursement, employee discount program, and an employee stock purchase program. We would love to talk to you about this fantastic opportunity.
Under the supervision and direction of the clinical team, the position provides support to all areas of the operating room department. The ORA is expected to adhere to applicable Lewis-Gale Medical Center policies and procedures and to LewisGale Medical Center’s value statements and commitment to excellence standards.
SHIFT: Days (rotating weekends)
Specific Elements And Essential Functions Of This Role Include
Stocks and organizes supplies.
- Restocks linen each day. Stocks carts with PPE: shoe covers, hats, masks, or hoods in an orderly manner. Maintains adequate supplies in the scrub sink areas of paper towels, scrub brushes, scrub solutions, and surgical masks. Maintains the supply levels of mop heads, trash bags, and hospital approved detergent/chemical germicides used in the department. Restocks formalin in specimen area. Restocks trash bags, kick buckets, linen bags, Neptune canisters, disposable gloves. Change a sharps container as needed (3/4 full). Notifies the front desk or Clinical Coordinator of problems obtaining supplies. Available to staff in assigned area, as needed.
Maintains adequate equipment in the surgical suites.
- Operates, maintains, and stores all equipment in a knowledgeable, safe, and efficient manner. Cleans and disinfects non-disposable equipment per department policy. Assists in moving equipment such as video equipment, fracture table, or each room’s surgical and/or anesthesia furniture and equipment. Equipment is returned to its appropriate storeroom location in an orderly fashion. Keeps all storerooms, hallways, pre-op holding area, and front desk area free from clutter or equipment. Independently assumes the responsibility to organize storerooms or equipment. Anticipates needs in each O.R. and has equipment outside of suites as needed.
Provides for patient safety while transporting patients within the hospital & Surgical Services Department.
- Transports patients. Demonstrates proper working knowledge of stretcher and patient’s beds. Assists in cleaning and maintaining stretchers in working order. Makes up stretchers with sheets/blankets to prepare for the next transport patient. Reports problems as necessary. Returns all equipment to its proper location. Selects proper equipment considering the size and age of the patient. Consistently anticipates the next patient needing transportation. Checks OR schedule for changes in patients to be transported.
Safely assists in the positioning of surgical patients.
- Demonstrates the proper use of all positioning devices, including but not limited to, operative beds, stirrups, arm supports, padding, and securing devices. Assists in obtaining positioning devices and padding as needed. Transfers all patients to and from surgical beds utilizing good body mechanics to prevent personal injury. Patients will not experience any injury during positioning or transfer. Notifies appropriate personnel if any injury such as tissue damage is noticed, or if the equipment is not functioning properly. Anticipates positioning help in OR suites and is readily available for flipping patients and holding limbs for prepping.
Provides daily cleaning of the O.R.
- Cleans O.R. suites after each surgical case by containing all trash and soiled linen, cleaning all equipment and furniture with hospital approved germicide, mopping the floors with a clean mop head, and spot cleaning walls if necessary. Assures O.R. is ready for another case by arranging furniture and equipment in the proper location. Cleans sub-sterile areas, lounges, and hallways each day. Keeps equipment and carts free from dust. Independently monitors the O.R. and dusts surfaces. Cleans any equipment before entering the restricted areas. Always utilizes personal protective equipment.
Demonstrates flexibility in the unit to perform other tasks that may be assigned.
- Demonstrates flexibility in the unit to perform other tasks that may be assigned. Assists in the operation of the surgical department by completing assigned tasks that may include but not necessarily be limited to the following: obtaining SCD sleeves and delivering to O.R. suites, taking patient specimens to the laboratory, pathology, or breast center; stocking cast carts; defrosting department refrigerators; acquiring blood or blood products from the blood bank. Completes tasks in a timely manner. Notifies the front desk when leaving the department on breaks or while completing tasks.
Appropriately handles all trash, regulated medical waste, and soiled linens within the department.
- Trash is contained and disposed of according to facility policy. All regulated medical waste is contained and labeled, then disposed of according to hospital policy. Utilizes Standard and Transmission Based precautions when necessary. Calls housekeeping for trash and linen pick-ups if needed. There are no incidences of trash or medical waste not properly contained or labeled.
Pursues own professional growth through continuing education and in-services.
- Maintains current BLS status; completes mandatory educational requirements. Attends all in-services/ staff meetings on scheduled workdays. Reviews minutes of meetings held on non-scheduled days. Pursues continuing education in-services. Completes all assigned training within time limits.
Communicates effectively with staff, peers, supervisors, and external/ internal customers.
- Maintains open communication with all team members and other hospital personnel. Communicates in a positive manner. Utilizes appropriate channels of communication. Communicates accurate and appropriate information concerning the patient’s needs. Identifies and assists in departmental issues. Is consistently positive, no matter what the situation. Is a role model for peer groups. Uses tact, sensitivity, sound judgment, and professional attitude at all times when relating with patients, families, and co-workers.
Serves as a professional member of the OR team.
- Shares knowledge and lends assistance to others. Resolves conflicts in a constructive manner. Accepts and responds to changes in workload. Assists management in problem-solving and in the implementation of new policies and procedures. Is available and accessible when on duty and on-call (is at Hospital within 30 minutes or less). Assists others without direction. Volunteers to work beyond shift or adjust shift when needed. Fosters teamwork and harmony in the operating room.
Adheres to hospital policies and procedures.
- Reports for duty as scheduled and on time. Adheres to Hospital and Departmental dress codes. Adheres to Hospital parking policy. Respects patient’s rights to confidentiality. Understands and supports the philosophy, purposes, policies and procedures, and standards of the Hospital and the Department of Surgical Services. Adheres to JCAHO and OSHA regulatory standards. Accomplishes goals set in prior evaluations. Develops new policies and procedures. Encourages others to comply with regulatory requirements.
All other duties as requested.
- High School Graduate or GED (preferred)
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) upon hire (required)
- 1+ year of prior experience in nursing (preferred)
We are a family 270,000 strong! Our Talent Acquisition team is reviewing applications immediately. Highly qualified candidates will be promptly contacted by our hiring managers for interviews. Submit your resume today to join our community of caring!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Our Company’s recruiters are here to help unlock the next possibility within your career and we take your candidate experience very seriously. During the recruitment process, no recruiter or employee will request financial or personal information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not email you from a public webmail client like Gmail or Yahoo Mail. If you feel suspicious of a job posting or job-related email, let us know by clicking here.
For questions about your job application or this site please contact HCAhrAnswers at 1-844-422-5627 option 1.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Functions: Administrative